Day 41, Pureora forest - Timber trail - Bog Inn

Day 41. My mom and dad dropped me off at the start of the Timber trail, and my dad joined me for the first few hours. Instead of joining me for a full day we agreed that an hour on the trail with me and then an hour by himself going back would work great. This way he gets to feel a bit of what the experience is like for me.

We took our time on the timber trail, and I must say that I couldn't have planned it better. The beginning of the Timber trail was not only easy to follow, but also the most beautiful trail I've seen yet. We walked for 45 minutes, then found an old Caterpillar machine with some shelter, and decided to stop. To my surprise my dad pulled out a dehydrated ice cream sandwich that I gave to him last Christmas. We ate it slowly, as we both knew when It was finished we would part ways. When we reached the fork in our track my dad and I had one big emotional moment and said our fairwells. My mom and dad will head back to Canada in a few days, but getting the chance to see them was increidbly special.

The timber trail led me into Pureora forest, and though it was easy, my body was having a difficult time finding it's rhythm again. I know the next week is going to be hard. Re training my body for 20-40km a day is never easy. It rained for the entire day, and it was the punch to the face that I needed to get my mind back into TA shape

Pureora forest was spectacular. Not only the prettiest forest of the trail, but I think the prettiest forest I've ever seen. Not before long I was in the shadow of the clouds climbing to the 1165 metre summit. There was no visable views from the top so I quickly continued on to bog inn hut. Bog inn hut had an increidbly eerie presence about it. Kind of spooky, but I liked it. The inside hard two bunk beds and a very old looking fireplace. I soon noticed there was animal poop scattered all over the place. On the tables, beds, and floor. Ive heard rumors of the giant rats that live at bog inn hut.

I was happy to see that someone brought some wood in from outside. I spent the next 4 hours trying to make a fire. When I finally did make a fire I realized the wood was too wet and I couldn't build it past a medium sized tp. I finally decided to get in my sleeping bag and read my book. This is when I discovered I wouldn't be spending the night at bog inn alone. A quick scrape and scatter from the roof down to the woodpile outside. Though it only sounded like there were a couple, I could definitely make out that they were large. The scatter on the roof, then in the walls. With nothing but darkness around me I then heard the noise from inside the hut, running along the floor over the bunk beds. I ignored it as best as I could.

I drifted asleep soon enough but was constantly being woken up to the rats.

Comments

Popular Posts