Day 43, Pureora forest - Waihaha hut - Hauhungaroa hut

I struggled to enter the cold world outside my sleeping bag. I always struggle with this part of the day. After eating and tidying up the hut I slipped into my still wet clothes and made pace. Finally it stopped raining and I saw blue sky, the first time in 4 days. This helped with the temperature, but the forest still kept it's wetness. The start of my day was fast, and relatively easy hiking compared to yesterday, but I ran into my first obstacle fast. A stream that was fairly deep. I took off my boots and socks - which are still damp from the day before - and made my way across. There's no use trying to stay clean while doing something like this. My feet and pants were soon covered in mud, but I knew not to let it bother me.

After crossing my first stream I soon came to my second, and after that my third and forth. These definitely slow me down, but it's always fun finding ways to get across without having to go in.

The track was as beautiful as ever. So lush and green. I couldn't belive how green it was! I passed by 3 or 4 really good places to camp, which made me sorta wish I didn't stay at the hut last night. The track went from nice and simple to hard climbing. I was starting to feel my muscles tire, and I knew my body is still adapting. I pushed forward all the same, knowing the pain would soon turn into strength.

I then came upon the Hauhungaroa hut and decided I would stop. It was only 2 more hours to the end of the Pureora forest and I wanted to take it in a little bit. There was a really nice view from the hut, by far the nicest one yet. The sun was out so I changed out of my wet clothes to let them dry. I checked inside and there was dry firewood! This hut is set, but it can't be this perfect. I decided instead of pushing to the end of the forest to camp that I would spend the night here instead. This would mean an extra 2 hours to my day tomorrow before making the long road walk into Tamaranui. I'll just have to get up a little early.

I figured I'd cook up some couscous with cup a soup. I dumped out the tiny bit of water I had from the beginning of the day, and went to the tap to refill. I pulled the tap, but nothing happened. I knocked on the water tank and it gave off a loud echoed ring. Out of water... great. I then decided I would push on to the end of the forest, and refill my water in a passing stream. I repacked my gear and slipped into my still wet clothes, ready to set off. I really wished I could stay here tonight. Just before I was about to leave I jumped up on top of the water tank to see what was inside. Alas! A small amount of water at the bottom. I still wasn't sure how to get the water out though since it was much deeper than an arms reach. I took two metal wires from inside and hooked them into a pot handle. I was able to slowly fill up my water bladder. I figured it would be worth it to stay at the hut. two extra hours tomorrow in exchange for dry clothes.

I spent the evening making tea with my backup titanuim wood stove, writing my blog, and staying toasty warm with my cozy fire.

As night moved in the blue sky faded and the surrounding area was covered in fog. The fog turned into heavy rain and I was happy to be inside with a cozy fire. I stayed up later than I intended, enjoying the priceless warmth a little while longer.  I put a few big pieces of wet wood into the furnace of heat, and fell into a heavy comfortable sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts