Day 77 - Invercargil to Bluff

Waking up today was like waking up on Christmas morning. For the last 2 and a half years I've been thinking of walking into Bluff, and the day that I would finish this walk. Everyone was in high spirits, and nobody left Invercargil in a rush. We all made a meeting point in bluff so we could all walk together, but even though everyone left as individuals on this day, the 8 of us were soon walking as a group through the estuary.

Today was no easy day if walking. 33km and half of that was on a main highway with not much of a shoulder. We walked through the estuary walking all together as it was gentle and a wide trail, but when we reached the highway we were forced to walk in a single file line. As we marched the 15-20km down the highway we all soon became dispersed and I found myself walking alone. I took the time to reflect of what a crazy journey this all has been.

When I reached the outskirts of Bluff about half the group was there and we waited for everyone else to make it so we could all walk in together. After a brief stop at the liquor store we made our final 4km hike to the sign at Bluff, our finish line.

As the sign came into our views a hard wind picked up and heavy rain started to fall - just as it did when I started at Cape Reinga - but this only made the moment more exciting. Screams of joy and laughter came pouring out of everyone as we reached the sign. We made it! Champagne was popped, pictures were taken and hugs and tears were shared. As we celebrated at the sign a women came walking up to our group from a nearby cafe and said "Congratulations! When you're finished taking pictures come to the Oyster Cafe and collect your medals!"

We were all soon sitting in a cozy cafe, sheltered from the rain, wearing our new - and heavy - medals for completing the Te Araroa. Not long later a waiter walks up to our table and starts passing around champagne glasses. He then says "Someone from the team has kindly purchased two champagne bottles" everyone looked at each other with curious eyes trying to figure out who it was. We waited as the waiter poured everyone a glass before speaking again "Brooklyn from Winnipeg sends her congratulations, and says that each sip of this champagne is a hug from her". Everyone at the table turned their eyes on me, and all I could do was tilt my head back and smile in teary laughter. Brooke has always been my biggest supporter throughout this crazy journey. I'll never forget the day she dropped me off at Cape Reinga and we said goodbye in the pouring rain. She has never held me back and always pushed me to keep going. If there is one thing this walk has showed me its that there is nothing more valuable to me than love. This journey is over, but our journey together is just beginning.

From the top of New Zealand to the bottom. Over 3000km hiked, 137 days, and more than 35 pounds lost (16kg).
Beach, forest, jungle, farmland, cities, towns, roads, mountains, rivers, and valleys. Rain, snow, hail, mud, and frozen boots. This walk kicked me when I was down, but taught me how to pick myself up. Many high points and many low points, but in the end it's not the pain I will remember most. It's not the cold nights or wet boots. It's not the thunderstorms, hail, or rain. Nor was it the ever changing landscape. It was the people. Those who brought me in - even when I was stinky and dirty - and those who I was able to hike the many miles with through this beautiful country.

Thank you all for your support, and thank you all for following my journey.

Comments

Popular Posts