Day 65 - Taipo Hut to Mavora Lakes Camp

Mornings on the trail are starting to get cold. It makes for a speedy wake up as the only way to get warm once I leave my sleeping bag is to walk.

The weather started cloudy with minimal hints of the sun, but as I made my way towards Boundary hut the sun came out and kept me warm for the rest of the day. When stuff gets wet out here the sun is the only thing I can depend on to get them dry, especially since I've seen maybe two fireplaces in huts in the last month and a half.

I walked in my own today, but Stef and Heiner were not too far behind me. The trail was extremely wet underfoot and even though the sun was out, by the time I reached the southern end of Mavora Lakes my shoes were still soaked. I walked into the campground on a mission to find some change to pay for a site. As I walked passed a few campers a lady waved at me and asked how my day was going. And before I could even ask if she had change for my $20 her and her husband offered me a beer, some fresh fruit, and a seat next to their warm fire. They knew I was walking Te Araroa and had all sorts of questions for me. Not long later Stef and Heiner showed up and they waved them over as well, bringing out chips and wine. It was the perfect most unexpected way to end a long day of hiking.

Comments

Popular Posts