Day 70 - Lower Wararki hut to Telford Camp.

We all slept in this morning since it was only a 8km to Telford Campsite and it rained for most of the morning. The trail notes state you cannot hike past the camp site if you arrive after 10am so there wasn't much of a point to rushing.

I left the the hut with Stef and Heiner again today as we've formed a sort of team on these last few sections to Bluff. It also happened to be Stefs 30th birthday today, and I was excited to surprise her with a gift. A few days ago I found a trail marker that had fallen off a tree. I was planning on keeping it, but this felt like a better home for it. Trail maker and a snickers bar. Happy birthday, Stef!

The trail was a gradual 500 meter climb through a thick forest towards an exposed saddle at 1000 meters. As we climbed closer to the saddle through the lush forest became completely covered in white snow, and everything suddenly became much more windy and cold. I had service at a point and tried to call Brooke. I watched my phone go from 30 percent battery to 1 percent battery in a matter of seconds and realized I'd better keep moving and stay warm.

When we reached the saddle it was on an exposed rocky ridge, and the wind was more powerful than I have ever felt before. At one point I planted my feet - and braised for a huge gust - and the wind made my entire body slide several feet backwards on the snow. I knew the winds were way heavier than anyone should be hiking in, but we didn't have a choice but to continue on the trail and decent down off the saddle. One wrong slip up here would turn into a serious problem fast! Im very happy I didn't skimp on weight with my gortex jacket. The actaryx beta Lt has served me well in these scary situations.

We all made it down to the campsite safely, and quickly set up our tents before the rain hit. I didn't see anyone after this as we were all huddled in our sleeping bags to stay warm for the rest of the night.

Comments

Popular Posts