Day 64 - Greenstone Hut to Taipo Hut

I enjoyed a nice breakfast and coffee with Stef and Heiner before starting the trail. The weather forcast was medium to heavy rain for most of the day, but by the time I left the hut (9:30am) it was sunshine with some mixed clouds. I was in the middle of the mountains already so bad weather could be near by and I wouldn't even know it.

I started my hike through the beautiful Greenstone forest and it was gentle and easy going. I enjoy this type of hiking, as it allows me to focus more on the beauty and light around me. Within the first hour of hiking something changed. Although it was only late morning the light in the forest faded, and shadow and wind took over. The trees creaked and moaned as if they had voices, and it wasn't long before rain started to fall like a barrage of tiny arrows. Then came the thum of rolling thunder that gave me chills, both of fear and excitement. It's not often I hear thunder on the trail, and it's not often that I'd like to, but theirs something about it that comforts me. I don't know why.

It wasn't long after this that I caught up to Stef and Heiner and we continued along together. It didn't take long to realize that Stef wasn't a fan of the thunder as every time it roared she would pick up her pace as though it was a chasing her through the forest.

The rain slowly became heavy and soon even my rain gear was soaked to its bones. I put my camera in my bag as I've lost all trust for its weather sealed protection. It was at this point that we left the shelter of the forest and hiked through a mass of long tussock grass, mud and swamp. I got to the point where I didn't even bother stepping over water and mud and just powered through it instead. This went on until we reached Taipo hut, only 10km and 3 hours from Greenstone Hut.

My plan originally was to go all the way to Careys hut today, another two huts down from Taipo, but the weather was in no way on my side, and even stopping for a minute in the trail and I could feel the cold quickly starting to settle into my bones. Instead I cozied into the small 4 person hut with Stef and Heiner and drank coffee and caught up on my blog. A day in a hut is a better rest day than a day in the city. this half day seemed like a good opportunity to catch up on some peacefulness.

Comments

Popular Posts