Starting up again. Pureora Forest

It's been a few weeks since I left the trail, but I'm happy to announce my return. I spent a lot of time looking at options around the Wanganui river since I didn't have a partner to paddle with. I even considered waiting until I found a partner because skipping this section just felt wrong. Luckily, a friend of mine named Paul has offered both his company and his canoe. Paul Is a field medic, ski patrol, and also used to be a river guide. Not only is he going to take on the Wanganui river with me, but he's also offered to guide me across the Tongariro crossing. I love how the world works it's self out some times.

My parents arrived in New Zealand on August 19th and this was another reason to why I took a short break from the trail. It's been 8 months since I've seen them, and we organized a plan to drive up to my drop off point over the course of a week. I was lucky enough to tag on to their vacation, being treated to nice dinners, excursions, and all around comfort. We spent the week swimming in geothermal pools, jet boating at Huka falls, and taking a night tour through the Hobbiton movie set where we ate and drank a massive feast at the green dragon, and then explored Hobbiton at night with lanterns. I'm sitting in one of the nicest hotels of my life right now, writing this blog, and preparing myself for the next month of walking to Wellington. A hard thing to have to say goodbye to. Good news is my dad is going to join me for the first bit of my first day so he can get a taste of what it's like walking Te Araora.

As hard as it is to say goodbye to the comfort of family I'm also ready to be back to the comfort of the trail. I've also taken a significant amount of weight off my pack since Cape Reinga, around 10 pounds. My pack currently weights in at 15kg (32 lbs), with 4 days of food and 2 litres of water. I'm happy with this. I've abandoned lots of small things, clothing that wasn't being used regularly, and I purchased a new titanium 1l pot for cooking.

My tent is 1.3kg, sleeping bag 950g, and sleeping mat 500g. I can do better if I wanted to but all and all I'm happy with my gear.

Comments

Popular Posts