Day 44 - Hauhungaroa hut - Tamaranui.

As soon as I saw the first hint of light I pulled myself out of my sleeping bag and started getting ready for the long day of road walking ahead. I still have a 2 and a half hour walk to get out of Pureora forest, and than another 30+ km road walking before reaching Tamaranui.

It poured rain outside the hut, and again I was happy that I chose to spend the night here. I put on extra warm gear, layered with my wet weather gear, and made haste to the finish of the Pureora forest. I was expecting the trail to be easier to follow, but it wasn't. The Pureora forest wanted to give me one last test before I reached its end. Thick bush to push through, and more water than ever. I found myself splashing through ponds with every step. My rain gear was soon drenched and started to soak through to my clothes underneath. I continued through with speed and determination to stay warm. With the heavy rain and the focus on my speed I wasn't stopping much to take photos.

I then came to a clearing that led me through un-canopyed bush, and to a high flowing stream. I could tell that this stream was normally splash through, but with all the heavy rain it flooded. I took off my boots and stepped into the freezing water. I was soon on the other side with my boots laced up. I continued forward another 100 meters and came to another stream. This stream had flooded too, and the trail actually wanted me to walk 20 meters down stream. I repeated the process of taking off my boots - in the pouring rain - and starting to ford again. I was in the water for so long that I was soon screaming at the pain, trying not to let it distract me from the uneven rocks below. When I reached the other side I picked up my pace to get my body warm again.

When I finally reached the road I discovered it resembled something closer to a lake. I jumped around each bank trying desperately to keep me boots try. 30+km on the road with wet boots is not fun. At the end of the road I came to a  high gate that was locked forcing me to climb over it. Another strange TA obstacle.

I walked and walked as fast as I could. When I reach the main road I was given a few honks and thumbs up from some passing drivers, which always strikes a good feeling.

I reached Tamaranui and resupplied my food and continued on toward the holiday park. A big day that I'm happy to have finished. Thank you pureora forest for one of my highlights on Te Araroa.

I spent the night planning for the trails ahead and writing my blog. While sitting in the kitchen a met Bob, from California. We got to know each other pretty quick and I was soon listening to Bob's stories. From his son who rode a bicycle around Asia, or another story about what its like camping in the Sierra. I told Bob similar stories of my experiences riding a motorbike across Vietnam, and my times on the trail. One thing we both seemed to agree on was that this country holds a remarkable beauty unlike anywhere else in the world 

Comments

Popular Posts