Day 45. Tamaranui - Owhango

Last night I found out some bad news. Paul, my friend who was going to guide me over Tongariro crossing and supply me with a Canoe for Wanganui river unfortunately had to pull out. My original plan for today was to walk into the 42nd traverse and make my way for Tongariro, but now everything's changed.

I layed in my tent for a while longer trying to decide what to do. I had no idea, but I wanted to move, so I started the 18km road walk to Owhango. I finally had some sun today, first time of actaully being in it for a while.

I walked into Owhango slightly troubled, without a solution for going forward. Paul was heading to Wellington and said he can get me down there if I was interested. I knew that if I took the ride then I proabably wouldn't be coming back up to the trail for a while, unless Paul got free from his work and we did in fact take on the crossing and river with me.

When I arrived at Owhango I saw the track leading to the 42nd traverse. A 2 days walk until Tongariro, which is then another 2 days over the active alpine volcano. I didn't know the weather, and I didn't have the appropriate gear, so really my only choice now was to get in touch with Paul and see what his thoughts were. After a talk with Paul I decided I would take his ride back down to Wellington. I considered just skipping the two sections and coming back to them, but the thought wasn't settling well with me. I want to bang out Te Araroa in one long stretch, and jumping around it takes some part of the experience away from me.

I'm sorry again for those following, but I've decided to head back to Wellington, again. I'm also running out of money.

I'm not finished with te araora, and know that I'll be coming back sooner rather than later. It's been one hell of a journey walking across North island in the winter. I've met incredible people and learned a lot about myself.

Comments

Popular Posts