Day 27. Dome forest - Outside Pahoi

I awoke to a cloudy morning. Since I didn't need to prepare breakfast I had a quick start to the day. I finished 1km of track and was shot out onto highway 1 in front of the dome cafe. I was greeted by a very friendly guy named Lucas. I ordered the biggest breakfast on the menu, and was given a flat white on the house when discovered I was walking Te Araora. I sat down, started charging my phone that had little juice left, and was surprised to have some company. The cafe cat came and sat right on my lap. I don't know why she didn't feel like bothering the others having breakfast, but I found her to be comforting company. Shortly after a rooster showed up to the window from outside to join us, and then a little dog layed on the floor next to me. They must know what I ordered.
I was soon on my way up a steep road. A man asked me if I was lost, explaining that the road led to a dead end. I explained the track and assured him I knew where I was going. I know where I'm going?
I took a track through an area of dead trees. It was sad, especially after being sourounded by life for the last 24 hours. I eventually came down to another road. I followed this road for some time. A man unintentionally came walking towards me while walking his dog and we started walking together. As soon as I introduced myself he said "Canadian?" I was shocked from his guess, and he said he lived in the US for a while. I still found it quite a good guess. His name was Ralph, and he told me a little bit about his life. Me, Ralph, and  Chomp - his pitbull - had a great conversation for a few kilometers before it started raining. We shook hands and both continued walking our own ways.
The track then turned back onto a trail that went up to 1000 feet. When I reached the top I decided I would use the rare benefit of having cell phone reception and call a couple in Puhio who offer accommodation for TA walkers. The call went to answer machine. I left a message and continued down.
The track went down some back roads before crossing through a bush track, following a farmers fence line on a ridge over looking the valley. The rain was on and off, but nothing heavy. I found myself with no hood on trying to use the fresh rain to wash my beard and hair. It felt nice to have something other than sweat run through my hair.
At the end of the farmers track I met up with the road, only 5km from Puhio. Since I had yet to find a place to sleep I was on sharp lookout for flat ground and a decent water source. I followed the road and crossed paths with a man named Hue walking his dog, piggy. We talked for a short while, and he offered his property to camp along with some fresh water.
Hue led me back to his property and showed me a good area to pitch my tent. He then showed me where I can get fresh water. Hue then decided I could sleep in his little popup trailer house. "You're welcome to a hot shower if you want as well" Hue said. After taking a hot shower Hue offered me a beer. Hue and I had just met, but we were learning to trust each other by the minute. Before long, Hue and I were driving into Puhio to grab a case of beer. Hue cooked up a delicious lamp, potato, and gravy dinner. With a warm fire we told stories of our travels through India and Nepal, which then led to stories of other explorers. Hue had learned lots through history books he'd read, teaching me history of Captain Cook and Moby Dick. Beer after beer was consumed and I found myself stumbling back to my sleeping bag at midnight slightly drunk.

Comments

Popular Posts