Day 29. Orewa - Takapuna - Auckland

My watch alarm buzzed me awake, and I was treated to the familiar sound of rain in the morning. Even if I awoke to a cyclone I would have walked today. The further I am away from this hostel the better.

As I follow te araora to Auckland the less actual trail there is, forcing me to walk on the busy roads for kilometers on end. Studying my route the night before I realize there is a questionable section where I'm supposed to cross an estuary. I tried to find the low tide times for Dacre point, but was unable to find anything. I knew low tide for Orewa was around 1-2pm so I assumed it would be the closely related to Dacre.

It's Saturday today, meaning lots of morning walkers. This was good to see, but I soon become tired of the constant "morning" greetings. I appreciate the trail much more on my own.

The rain continued for most to all of the day, but nothing heavy enough to bother me. As long as I keep moving it's incredibly refreshing.

I walked for 7 kilometers on the busy road before a car pulled over ahead and ask me where I was heading. I was only a few kilometers to the stillwater track, but was relieved to get off the hard, curvy, uncomfortable road and brought to the track start. Though the main highways are busy, people tend to be aware of me, and most of the time will give me some room. When I hit the back roads though there is less traffic, the drivers are mostly farmers and locals who know the roads well. This means they don't slow down on corners, and there's a greater chance of being hit.

I continued through the stillwater track towards dacre point, and was happy to see that the tide was in fact coming out. After completing the track I saw the estuary. It was massive, but I couldn't tell it's depth. I trusted that Te Araroa wouldn't lead me into a full swim so I took off my boots and socks, rolled up my pants, and started fording. The picture of the estuary below will show how far I needed to ford. This was no small stream. I splashed through the water being careful not to cut myself on the sharp shells below. "This isn't so bad" I thought. I was about 3/4 of the way across when the water suddenly became deep. I assumed it wouldn't go past my hips so I took off my pants and started to cross in my underwear. Each step took me deeper and I soon realized the water would go deeper than half my 6' 3" body. I retreated back to shallow ground. I've found myself in a bit of a rut. Low tide was half an hour away, which meant this water wasn't going to be getting much shallower. I needed to find a place to cross. The walk around the estuary was another full days walk.

For the next half an hour I walked up and down the estuary looking for a good place to ford, or should I say swim. The wider the crossing the shallower the depth. A strong current was an indication deep spots as well. I spotted two runners on the other side and I yelled out "do you know where a good place to cross is?" The man told me he didnt, but said he's swam the estuary before. He explained yachts passed through here so he knew that it wasn't shallow. The couple offered to watch me cross - for safety - to be there is something does go wrong. I figured it's now or never. I prepared to cross carrying my pack over my head with my boots hanging around my neck. The water was far from warm and by the time I was 1/3 of the way across I was on my tip toes. My boots filled with water and my arms were struggling to hold my 35-40 pound (15-20kg) bag above my head. My boots started to drift with the current, and part of my bag - where my gps was located - was starting to submerge in the water. I started to turn back, losing my boots from my neck in the process. I managed to grab them before they were lost with the current, and brought myself back to shallow water. Failed attempt. Shit. I was sure I could cross, but I needed to secure my gear more. I pulled out two garbage bags that Ive been carrying from Ahipara, and stuffed my bag inside. I would have rather crossed naked, but I had an audience. I started my second attempt. Half naked, carrying my pack, boots, and walking stick above my head. As I reached the middle of the estuary I could no longer touch the bottom. I used all the strength in my arms to hold my pack out of the water. To my half naked embarrassment I grunting and moaned to keep myself afloat. My toes touched again. I've passed half way. As soon as I made it to the other side the couple congratulated me, then ran off. It was still raining at this point, which didn't help with keeping things dry. I put on a new shirt, underwear, and my dry pants. I laced up my soaked boots and continued walking. These sort of daily struggles are becoming somewhat of a routine.

As I finished the next hour and a half of track I came to the park that I was planning to spent the night at. I found the park ranger - David - who explained to me there's no camping permitted anywhere in the Takapuna area, other than the holiday park 15km south. David was incredibly kind, and after telling him some stories of my journey he offered me some fresh fruit and a grenola bar. We decided that there needs to be a camp ground for TA walkers around here. He told me he would be fine with me camping, but there are multiple security guards that roam the area looking for people like me. David explained the next part of my trail was complete suburbs, and recommended I take a bus into Auckland.

After pondering the situation in the nonstop rain - with soaking wet gear - I called my Canadian friends Sarah and Sean who have offered me a place to stay in Auckland. Sarah said she would be happy to come get me. The thought of setting up camp in a suburb, with security looking for me, in the pouring rain wasn't the most appealing at the time so I took Sarah up on her offer.

Sarah and I had some coffee before she brought me into the city. Thanks to my amazing friends I was able to wash my clothes, take a hot shower, and before long Sean and I were sitting on the coach, watching mission impossible, and enjoying some cold IPA's.

I've arrived in Auckland!

Comments

Popular Posts