Day 37. Hamilton - Pirongia forest base.

I had a quick, early start to the day as I was expecting a big one. The morning was spent mostly on the road. I cut through a farmland and over a big hill before connection up with highway 1. I broke off the highway and followed a river for some time. The track here was difficult to find. It cut behind people's back yards before reaching the river. As I followed the river I spotted a farmer, driving his tractor in the field ahead.  As I passed him I was given a big one handed wave, and I was soon walking with a smile. That smile was soon abandoned as my pants caught on an electric fence sending a strong jolt through my thigh.

I soon hit old mountain road, and followed this for some time. I began listening to "The Lord Of The Flies" audiobook with one ear, leaving my other ear to listen for traffic. I passed the "Karmu Valley Lodge", and continued forward as they told me they charge 40$ for a campsite. The road soon became a singular gravel road that began to wind and climb. It climbed further, and it wasn't long before I had a view of the valley surrounding me.

I followed the windy road expecting to find a friendly orange marker to guide my way, but found nothing. I checked my map. I was in the right place. The trail was supposed to go south - over a rocky farm hill - but there was no opening. I made the decision to hop the fence, without getting electrocuted, and continued on. After reaching a high point on the rocky hill I spotted my orange marker and knew I was on track again. I turned around and was given a clear sky view of the valley I came from. Hamilton was a spec in the distance. Have I really walked that far today? I continued over the hills through muddy animal terrain. I then hit another obstacle. The path was poorly labeled and I found myself struggling to find a path to guide me in the right direction. I chose my own path over the hills - yet again - before following the fence line out. Just before I reached the finish of the track I saw a magnificent forest, and choose to go explore it. The roots were thick, strong, and diverse. They grew with purpose. Moss covered the area like an infection, coating everything in a thick green overcoat.

When I finished the track I saw a sign posting that said "TRACK CLOSED TO LAMBING".  Great, I probably just ruined some poor sheep's life. To be clear, I checked the trail status and was under the impression that it was open. I was even given an alternative route by a TA representative for further down when I hit the Mahoe track.

I followed the road for some time before reaching a possible camp area. The camp spot had stream water, picnic tables, and a toilet. My trail notes said there was another campsite 3km further at the Pirongia forest base. My curiosity took hold of me. I gathered 2L of water from the stream - in case I couldn't find more - and went looking for the other camp site. On my way to the campsite I ran into two American guys who were building some stick rafts to float down the river. They were in New Zealand to teach kids about god. I continued on my own way, and soon found a beautiful little camp site right at the beginning of the Pirongia summit climb.

I set up camp, and had a quiet beautiful evening. I watched the sun set with the cows who were lingering near by. I made butter chicken for dinner, and had an early sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts