Day 33. Mercer - Huntly

I started my day with an extra unhealthy breakfast at McDonald. I regretted this about 30 minutes later. My trail goal today was to make it to Huntly, 43km from mercer. The track was flat, but 43km in a single day is the most I've ever attempted. 

I was taken by surprise on my first track of the day. The slow progress climb through a farmers track was hard to follow, extremely muddy, and sections of it were full swamp. I eventually made it out the other end, and after a corrected wrong turn I was walking on highway 1 to the start of the track to Rangariri.

My body nor my mind was in motivation today. I felt sluggish and heavy. I tried to ignore the fact that I still had a very far way to go before I'd reach Huntly.

I passed through an uncountable amount of farmers fields. I was constantly either chasing bulls or having the bulls chase me. Sometimes they thought I was there to bring them food, and other times they though I was there to eat them.

The track was awful. The bulls had made the track extremely soft, wet and muddy. Gorse was overgrown around every corner and thorn bushes were camouflaged with every step. The track was poorly labeled and most of the day I was under the impression that I was making a track, not following one.

I approached a farmers gate that was so tightly shut I couldn't open it. I tapped the fence to make sure it wasnt electric. Nothing happened. I then grabbed the fence. Zap! After a month of walking through farmers lands I've finally found out what it's like to get shocked from an electric fence. If I wasn't awake before I was awake now. I hopped the fence using the wooden pole for balance and continued on.

I eventually was led off the track onto road. I was then expected to go back Into the mud but instead I chose to keep to the road for the extra speed. This payed off. I eventually made it to Rangariri bridge and was worried about the time I was making. I still had a good 15 kilometers before Huntly. I eyed my clock and picked up the pace.

It was dark when I walked into Huntly. My mind was frustrated mush. I felt like the track today was forgot about. It was not a fun walk. I did manage to complete a track record for myself of 43 kilometres in 9 and a half hours.

The holiday park that I lumbered into was actaully quite busy. I set up my tent before the showers came and ate some food. I then found the park owner and she was baffled to hear that I was walking at this time of the year. "It's been months since I've seen any walkers" She told me. She kindly gave me a ride to the store where I picked up some chocolate, and then graciously gave me a cabin for the same price as a campsite. It was nice to know I won't have to pack up my tent In the morning rain.

Tomorrow I was told I can make It to Hamilton if I'm fast. I'll be passing over the the Hakarimata ranges. A steep climb, but I'm looking forward to being back in the forest.

Comments

Popular Posts