Day 35/36 - Hamilton

My plan was to take a rest day in hamilton - let the wetness pass - before climbing porongia. At 3500 feet Porongia will be the highest point yet on Te Araroa. I've also approached another speed bump. Due to lambing, the Mahoe track - leading me into Witomo - will be closed. An easy detour around this, but one that will keep me on the quiet windy back roads.

I was able to check out the bivouc store in Hamilton where I saw a familiar face. The same guy that I talked to on the way up to Cape Reinga was working. "Hey, remember me!?" I said. He looked at me, confused. "No, sorry...". I talked to this guy for ages about tents, he surly hasn't forgot. I then discovered that the guy I was talking to was the twin brother of the guy I met. We soon became friends and he was really interested in my trail experience. I gave him my blog details and purchased some fresh gas, hut tickets and some new icebreaker socks. After 700km of walking my synthetic socks have aquired a permanent stink, and also a few minor holes.

It hailed In Hamilton today. I couldn't belive it. Good day to have shelter. I researched my maps, and resupplied for the road ahead.

As night approached I was planning on hitting the streets and going to a movie - I was having a major popcorn craving - but my 6" 5` Swedish roommate, who I later discovered is a bodyguard, ask me if I was interested in having a drink. I respectfully accepted. We started with Beer, but were soon drinking whiskey as well. Erland, was his name, and he liked to drink and partake in snus; a Swedish form of tobacco that you place under your uper lip. Erland just arrived in New Zealand a week ago, and was meeting up with his friend in a few days. Erland really wanted to keep drinking. I couldn't leave the guy to drink on his own so we drank. We then ran out of booze. We went and got more booze. Then the owner of the hostel joined us, which just brought more Interesting travel stories. Still no TA walkers - other than me - for months.

Lots of stories were shared - that alone was enough to intoxicate my imagination - and before long I was in my bunk bed sound asleep.

I awoke the next morning much later than I planned. I rushed to eat some food,  and after denying another offered drink from Erland, I prepared to take on the day. I made the effort, I really did, but ended up staying. I was in no mood to walk a long distance with a hangover. It continued to rain so I was happy to be dry and warm.

Tomorrow I start my 4 day journey over Pirongia to Wiatomo caves.

Comments

Popular Posts