Day 31 Auckland.

As I approached Auckland I passed a sign. A sign with the picture of the man who I've been hearing stories of most regularly over the past 1 month on Te Araroa. Wildboy, - The first person to walk around the entire coast of New Zealand - was sharing his story and signing his book in Takapuna. Was it chance that i walk from Cape Reinga to Auckland at the exact time Wildboy was telling his story?

Sarah and Sean have taken me in to their humble abode and provided me with not only warmth, comfort and food, but also good stories. My mind is on a constant crave for new stories. True or false, it does not matter. A good story is not about facts, but providing depth to the imagination. A good story is one that makes you think.

I spent 3 days in Auckland living with Sarah and Sean who really got to show me Auckland in a new way. I also got a chance to meet up with Lewis, Sarah, and Julie, Friends I worked with on Petes Dragon. It was great being able to catch up and find out what future projects may be coming to New Zealand.

As I prepared to continue forward on my track I was hit by my first major speedbump. The Hunua ranges - where I'm heading next - have been shut down over the next 7-10 days due to pest control. This was upsetting not only because I will have to avoid the section, but because it would take 5-6 days of all day road walking to reach Mercer. I will have to come back and finish the Hunua ranges when they re open. Instead I will  find an alternative route to Mercer where I will continue on the Te Araroa.

On the night of August 4th Sarah and I went to 182 lake road, Takapuna to listen to Wildboys story. A true gritty, no hope adventure that proved how powerful the mind and body can become when dedicated to a dream. His story took him all the way around the coast of New Zealand surviving off the land. After he was finished telling his story we were given the opportunity to buy his book and have him sign it. Sarah and I strategically placed ourselves at the end of the line giving us an opportunity for a conversation. It all happened so fast. When I told Brando that walked into Auckland 2 days ago from Cape Reinga I was immediately intervened by his publicist who was standing near by. She eagerly took my information and asked how I would feel being infront of a television crew sharing my story in compliment to Brandos story. This is a walk for Nepal. For the Juniper Fund. The more publicity the better. Brando casually put his number in the book I asked him to sign and told me to give him a text. I did mention that I was leaving Auckland tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if anything comes out of this.

I returned back to Sarah and Seans wonderful home, opened my new book, and read the freshly inked words Brando had written on the inside.

"Best of luck on the trail. Don't forget to be you." - Wildboy.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts