Day 66 - Paekakariki - Porirua

I woke up to clear sky with and a warm sun. I was quickly on my way, as I knew the walk today would be over 30km and mostly on the road. I made the plan to walk on the road along Kapiti coast, but when I made it to the road I noticed two TA signs pointing me off onto another track. I figured the track may be new so I decided to follow it. The track followed the coastal hills and eventually starting to climb all the way to the top. When I reached the top I had magnificent views of the coast, but was soon lost when I hit a dead end. I wasn't going to walk the hour and a half back the way I came so I continued forward along the steep hillside following cattle tracks. I was quite frustrated that the TA signs led me to a dead end, but soon ignored my frustration and focused on the challenge ahead. After a mad scramble on the hillside I made it down to another track that I continued to follow south, looking for any way to get back onto the road. As I followed the track I started to pass signs that said "Trespassers will be prosecuted". This was an unfinished track, and I just happen to find myself on it. It was a Monday, and a beautiful Monday. I knew if I continued forward I was most likely going to run into some workers. Sure enough, around 15 minutes later I came to a dead and and found a couple construction workers. I explained my situation to an older fellow named Bob, and he was happy to show me a path back down to the road. He gave me a big pat on the back and told me that he had a lot of respect for us "TA walkers" before he sent me on my way. When I reached the road I carefully crossed to the other side and followed the sidewalk on my original route. I have never been so happy to be road walking.

around 2 hours later I reached Plimmerton. I spotted a Mcdonalds and posted up for a big mac meal before making my way towards Porirua. My feet were in a lot of pain at this point and I could think of nothing better than having them out of my boots and in the open air.

The trail didn't just stick to the road, but took me through a few parks and even a rail station before hitting Porirua. I stopped up at countdown to bulk up on some food. I love the look on peoples faces at checkout when I'm looking for a place to lean my walking stick so I can pay.

45 minutes later I was at camp Eldson with a 10$ camp site. I had a nice cozy spot next to the forest, and was incredibly pleased to see the trail was 5 feet behind my camp site. I set up my tent, made some food and coffee, and enjoyed a beautiful night in my ever so comfortable home. The familiar sound of Moreporks kept me company the rest of the night. 

Comments

Popular Posts