Day 53 - Whanganui to Santoft forest

I made the goal of reaching palmerston north in 3 days time. Even though it was 100km of walking I saw it as a good opportunity to get my legs back into shape before the Tararuas.

I have a total for 40km to take down today. 32km on the road and 8km on the beach. Highway 4 was busy, but I got a few waves and thumbs ups from some passing drivers. I had 2 people pull over and offer me a ride, but I did my best to decline them without coming off as rude. People dont understand why I'm out here walking and when I decline a ride I think they take it personally.

By around noonish I had made it to Turakina. I thought about stopping, but continued another 9km west to Koitiata. When I pulled into the very lovely beach town my legs were in a lot of pain. There was a nice campsite in town, but I knew if I stayed here I would have 40km to do tomorrow to make up for it. I layed in the sun for a while, resting my legs before making the decision to push down the beach for a camp out in Santoft forest. The beach was beautiful and filled with driftwood. It was the best beach walk on Te Araroa yet.

At about half way down the beach I had an uncomfortable pain in my hip which caused me to limp. I took a small breather before pushing forward, but the pain didn't seem to go away. Eventually I made it to the end of the beach, and followed the trail over the dunes into the Santoft forest. I was expecting a dry pine forest, but instead I was greeted with a thick swamp. I didn't even bother with an attempt to cross, and instead went back to the beach and set up camp quickly before the sun went down.

I managed to pull off 40km today, but my lower half is in a lot of pain. Hopefully the pain subsides before morning.

Comments

Popular Posts