Day 67 - Porirua - Wellington

The one thing I wanted more than anything was to walk into Wellington with a clear blue sky. All my hard work through wind, rain, and darkness has payed off for the outstanding beauty of today. The sunrise was outstanding, and though my body was fighting exhaustion from my 7th day of walking without a rest, I was feeling alive and excited as ever to finish walking across New Zealands North Island on Te Araroa trail.

I took on the steep 450m climb to a high point above Porirua and off in the distance I could see my entire day ahead of me. Lyall bay lingered in the hazed distance, motivating me to reach its steps. I had a big day today non the less.

I climbed the windy roads though Wellingtons windy hills before I reached Spicer forest. I followed the beautiful trail through pine trees before hitting the road again, which I followed for another 10 km to the bottom of skyline track near Johnsonville. At this point in the day I was feeling extremely exhausted. My shoulders hurt, my legs hurt, and my hip was starting to feel worryingly uncomfortable.

As I climbed to the top of skyline I passed a man who stopped and asked me where I'd come from. I soon discovered he was a TA section hiker who had walked the section from Wellington to Levin, through the Tararuas. This brought out a prolonged conversation that I was happy to have. This was my first TA hiker that I've met on the trail. It only took 67 days.

I continued to the top of skyline and for the first time I had the grand view of Wellington that I had only dreamed of.  Im about to hit my 1700km of walking, and this view was my grand prize of the north island. This view was home in a way.

As I followed the steep track down to the beginning streets of Wellington I felt a large pain in my hip. This caused an incredible discomfort, which caused me to limp my way through the streets. While passing through a park before Wadestown an old women came around a corner on the track and ask me "Visitor or local?" I simply said "Both?". She grabbed my hand and led me to an open clearing where a picnic table was. She began to tell me how there's a weed in the park thats a huge pest and if people help her they can reduce the problem. Theres no arguing with determined old women, so before I even knew what I was doing I was on my hands and knees weeding the park. After I pulled around 30 weeds I got up and said. "I have to go, I'm sorry". I was not going to have an old women stop me from the task at hand. I was determined.

My hip was slowing me down majorly. I continued to walk before deciding that once I reached the Botanical gardens I would stop and have Brooke come meet me. When she showed up she brought out a celebratory Guiness, and we layed in the warm grass of the park, relaxing. My hip was still causing me pains, so soon I was back at home, showering, and eating.

After 2 and a half months of walking I have finished walking across New Zealands North Island. over 3000$ has been raised for The Juniper fund, supporting Nepal. Thank you all for you incredibly kind support, if anyone reading this is interested in donating you can view my fundraising page at www.gogetfunding.com/erics-walk-across-new-zealand/

Unfortunately, as badly as I want to jump into the south island, I am unable at this point. I have lots of personal matters to attend to, but this certainly doesn't mean the Te Araroa is finished for me. I will be coming back ASAP to finish the South Island. Ill also plan to start the South Island in the right season. Not in the middle of winter...

What a journey it has been. Thanks to all of those who helped me, fed me, and took care of me. The TA would be significantly less without the kind hearts of those who treating me with love and kindness. I hope to see you all again, and I can promise you that I will be looking to repay the favour to any wandering traveler that may come through my way. 

Comments

Popular Posts