Day 65 - Waikanae - Paekakariki

I woke up to rain, pouring rain. This rain wasn't going anywhere, so I made my best effort to pack up camp within the shelter of my tent before entering the wet, windy cold to take down my shelter and pack my bag. I had my camp set up on very dry dirt, but the heavy rain turned it into mud. By the end of my scramble of a morning my tent and pack were both quite dirty. I didn't let it bother me though. Being wet and dirty is all you can expect out here.

I finished the walkway path, and estuary walkway before hitting the Kapiti Coast. I struggled to keep myself upright as the wind and rain hit me hard off the ocean. It was low tide so I had lots of room to walk. I didn't eat any breakfast this morning because I was too caught up taking my camp down, so when I spotted a cafe I didn't even need to tell me legs, they just started walking towards it. When i entered there were three men sitting at a table just next to the door. Their conversation stopped when I walked in. One man looked up at me and said "Good effort, mate!". This brought out a smile.

I was soon sitting in a warm, windless, wet-less environment eating the biggest breakfast that was available on the menu and drinking a large flat white. I made a call to Brooke in Wellington to say hello, and then set my plan for the rest of the day. I was not feeling very motivated for a big days walk in the rain. I made my plan for a hostel in Paekakariki just over 10km away.

As I continued walking on the beach the tide started to change. The memory of getting hit by a storm on Ninety Mile beach came rushing back. The tides changes, and as the storm brought in heavy wind off the ocean the beach was soon only a memory. I made a new plan walking on the road. After the beach I followed a trail through dunes and hills before coming out the other end at the beginning of Paekakariki. I came upon a dog that walked with me for a little while before he figured I was a lost cause and went back where he came.

When I reached the Paekakariki hostel the power kindly informed me that the cheapest room she has was 55$ and recommended I go to the holiday park if I was looking for something cheaper. I was in no mood to walk 1km back the way I came to the holiday park, but I figured I best be on my way. While leaving the hostel I got talking to a guy named Daan who was from the Netherlands. He was really interested in my story and ended up offered me a ride to the holiday park that I graciously accepted. When I reached the Holiday park I made my way to the office to purchase a tent sight. The women there asked me about my walk, and when she found out I was raising money for Nepal she told me I could use the facilities for free. The sun had started to come out at this point and my day had completely turned around. I had a nice relaxing evening at the holiday park resting my feet and catching up on my blog.

2 days until Wellington. 2 Days until the North island Te Araroa is complete

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts