Day 62 - Te Matawai hut - Nichols hut

I woke up to the most beautiful day. It was clear sky and sunny, and this brought nothing but joy to my morning. After packing up my gear, eating breakfast, and performing my morning stretches I was off to the summit of Pukematawai. My next water source would be at Dracophyllum hut - 5 hours away - and decided a little over a litre of water would be just enough to get me there. 1 litre of water = 1kg of weight, so I aim to only carry the necessary amount.

With the morning sun beating down on me it wasn't long before I was completely doused in my own sweat. I in no way rushed to the summit. I made sure I took enough breaks to give the view the attention it deserved. While ascending I found the biggest earth worm I have ever seen in my life. Longer than both my size 13 feet vertically and thicker than my thumbs. When I hit the summit my breath was taken away by the vista. having climbed 500m may have contributed.

I continued forward to Dracophyllum hut, pushing myself through the constant ascending and descending of the Tararuas saw tooth ridges. My pace was slow, enervated and sloppy. I couldn't help but feel like I was making no ground at all, but alas, I made it to Dracophyllum hut. I refuelled, and carried on to Nichols hut. At this point in the day the weather started to change. Clouds started to pour in around me and I found my visibility becoming less and less. By the time I reached Nichols hut - 3 hours later - I was in full cloud coverage. on a clear day you should be able to spot Nichol hut no problem, but it wasn't until I was 15 feet away did I spot the huts wall.

The hut had a fire place, but unfortunately no wood. The clouds brought moisture, but no rain. It wasn't until I set myself down in the hut did I realize I was actually quite wet. I found and axe, and quickly went off into the surrounding ridge looking for dead, dry wood. I was surprised to find quite a bit of it. If there is one thing that can ease my dispelled body it is the presence of a warm fire on a dark night.

By sun fall the clouds had passed and my visibility was back. A beautiful view presented itself to me, and I spent the remainder of last days light eating dinner outside.

I spent the remainder of the evening lost in the heat of the fire. My mind was on tomorrow. What was yet to come. Johns words echoing in my head.

"Leave early from Nichols hut...a storm is coming"

Comments

Popular Posts