Day 8. Herokino forest.

The day started with an early alarm and a very big breakfast. I packed up my gear and started walking to the Herokino forest track start. Last night brought frost. The elder women working at my hostel says she hasnt seen frost in Ahipara for a few years. Yikes.

I talked to Peter Griffith on the phone last night and he agreed to pick me up at the finish of the Herokino track to take me to his place for some warm accommodation. He said that it was duable to make it through the forest in one day but it would be a push.

By 10am I had reached the track start where a sign posted 8hrs of hiking to clear the forest. The track started steep and muddy. I did my best to avoid the mud but eventually it just become part of the experience. After climbing straight up for the first hour the track started to go down, and eventually I arrived at my first stream crossing. A small one, and I was eager to keep pushing forward. As I climbed further and further away from the stream I realized I had made a mistake. My trail notes made clear note that the stream was the last water source for the next 13km. I dropped my pack, quickly raced back down to fill my water bladder, and made the climb back up to where I was. This was frustrating as I had lots of hard work still to come.

As I continued on I stopped to hear something fast and loud coming from the thick bush ahead of me. Two golden labs came running out. Looked and me and continued on. These dogs were here for one reason only. To hunt boar. I immediately kept my eyes peeled for there owner who most likely had a gun and was ready to shoot. Fortunately I didn't come across the hunter and continued pushing forward.

Mud mud mud. More mud

One thing I need to mention is that this was no forest. This was a jungle. Roots webbed the muddy jungle floor causing me to frequently slide like a skateboard grinding a ramp. The beginning of the track was clear and posted, but by the time I got to the middle I was constantly searching through vines and various plants for the next trail marker.

One thing did stick out in this jungle, and that was the Kauri trees. Massive, beautiful, Sacred trees that hold lots of history and influence on history.

While going downhill I felt myself start to slip, and my walking stick gave out. It bent at the middle causing me to fall into the mud. My left arm took a few scratches, but I quickly got back up and continued walking. I kept what was left of my walking stick as it was still useful going up hill. I approached two more streams on my way through the forest and one held a very difficult decent. I grabbed a vine with my left arm but then began to slip. What was left of my walking stick came up and hit me at the top arch of my nose, splitting the skin. It was a minor cut, but bled more than I expected. I applied some antiseptic, stopped the bleeding, and kept pushing forward.

By 3 o'clock I had hit the highest point of the jungle and was able to use my cell phone. I called Peter to tell him that I wasn't going to make it in time, but he said "It's up to you, but you're only 2 hours to the finish". I tightened my straps and made the push. I took it slow but eventually I finished the track.

When I got into Peters car her pulled out two beers and said "want a beer? Of course you do, you're a Canuck!"

Peter brought me to his beautiful home where I was gifted with a well needed warm shower, and a big hearty meal with fresh pork, and carrot cake desert that his wife made!

I spent the night with Peters family, and it was the best experience I have had yet on the trail. I learned so much that if I try and talk about it this post will drag on longer than it already has. In short I felt loved and at home. It was a hard place to leave.

I asked Peter if Raetea forest was harder. He gave me a stern look and said "much harder"

Comments

  1. We can get a flat white choppered in to you in an emergency.
    I know people..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tease me Nixey. Who are these people you speak of!?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts