Day 25. Pakiri holiday park rest day

The night was cold and wet. A big storm passed through over night putting my tent through its first major test. My tent passed the test, and my feeling for rain remains the same. I don't like it.

By 7 am the morning was bright and sunny. Hundreds of tue birds sung the morning to life with their diverse chants. I was told the holiday park has some of the few nectar trees in the area, which in turn brings all the tue birds here for the winter. I was mentally preparing to continue forward but my instincts were holding me back. Even though it was sunny and calm in the sky I could feel the storm luring me Into vulnerability. Instead of trying to pack up in rush I took a moment to decide either to push forward or take a days rest. I figure if it turns out to be a sunny day, I can afford it since it will help the take away the wetness on the track, and if it rains - like I suspect - then I will dodge it. Win win? I was also quite eager to finish Brandon Sandersons "The Way Of Kings" and begin his second novel "Words Of Radiance".

About an hour after I decided to take an extra day resting at Pakiri holiday park a storm front came in, and she hit hard. Like a coach watching his best athlete push through a hard endurence test I sat under a sheltered vestibule watching my tent take on the storm. My tent floor is fairly weak to wetness. It can be a bit damp in the morning, but nothing of a serious issue. My Hubba Nx has become a great shelter so far on Te Araroa. With the added vestibule it offers I have plenty of shelter to store my pack and any other equipment from the elements.

I spent most of the day reading and relaxing. I did make new friends. A couple from the UK, and the man, Paul, invited me in his caravan and told me stories of when he walked 5000 miles around the coast of the UK. He was very interested in donating to my walk for Nepal. He understood.

I also got on really well with the owners of the holiday park, Mac in particular. A classic extrovert. You can learn a lot from an extrovert. He taught me how to properly ferment my own Kambucha and sour dough bread. He also gave me ice cream. How I miss ice cream.

The rain persisted for the whole day, and im sure the track tomorrow is going to be a major challenge. I really hope this rain has finished it's fit. Either way, I'll be preparing for an extremely dirty, wet day.

Comments

Popular Posts