Day 18. Whananaki to Ngunguru

I was challenging the idea of taking a days rest in Whananki, but the perfect weather made it a failed attempt.

I packed my things and was off. I started off crossing the longest foot bridge in the southern hemisphere that lead me onto the beach for a small time, and then through some back roads to a well maintained grass track through northland hills. It was beautiful, and though my foot was a little sore I felt great. I passed others day walkers on the track with bright hellos, and was rewarded with spectacular east coast views. I still can't belive this is New Zealand winter. The mornings are undoubtedly cold, and the risk of heavy rain could take over in a swift moment, but so far I'm smiling.

After the beautiful track through the hills I was brought down the road through Matapouri, which continued on to the Matapouri bush track. A beautiful track through a pine tree forest that is also a Kiwi sanctuary. Still have yet to see one.

My trail notes explained that there was a massive Kauri tree located at the finish of the track. As I continued looking I was convinced I had passed the tree until suddenly a feeling overcame me. I found myself captivated by life itself. Tane Moana it was called. Beautiful. I've been told that Kauri trees can grow for up to 3000 years.

After spending some time taking at Tane Moana I made the finishing steps down to Ngunguru settlement where I picked up some extra food and sat down at a cafe for burger with chips and a banana milkshake. The cafe had WiFi and I was able to catch my entire family from home together for a group call. Unfortunately I had to keep it short since I still had around 6km to walk to the Riverbank B&B.

As I left the cafe a big Richies bus stopped on the side of the road. An older women struggled to pry the window open before asking me if I wanted a lift. I accepted. As she drove me the next 5km up the road she asked "you're one of those gus aren't you?" I gave her a smile and said "Yes, I'm walking TA". Our chat was short but very lovely. As I stepped off the bus I quickly asked "What's your name?". She said "Wendy!" And with that she drove off. It's moments like this. Meeting people for what may be minutes. Getting a wave from a driver as they pass. Being welcomed into a strangers home. It makes TA.

As I arrived at the Riverbank I was greeted by Milva. She brought me inside, offered me food, hot shower, and welcomed me to sleep in the main room instead of out in my tent. Hilton arrived shortly after and soon enough we were sharing stories of far away places with an empty bottle of wine on the table. I told them about the nature of the track thus far, and they taught me more about the native birds that I've come so aquanted with in the bush. One of the best nights on TA yet. I've made two new wonderful friends who I really hope to see again.

Thank you Hilton and Milva :)

Comments

Popular Posts