Day 17. Russell forest to Whananki

I was lazy getting myself out of my sleeping bag today and spent an extra half hour holding onto its warmth. I broke camp at 9am - later than I should have - and made my way out of the Russell forest on the road towards Teal bay.

It was a nice walk and a beautiful day. The  sky shone blue without a cloud in sight. I love the Northland farmland. Pigs, sheep, cows, horses, dogs, birds and generally very friendly people. I passed a school with some beautiful mauri carvings, and before I knew it I was at Teal Bay. I was hoping I could find a place to camp here, but there was a sign cleary stating that it wasn't allowed. It was still early with plenty of sunlight left so I decided to push for the morepork track. The road leading to the track start was steep and continued to climb for 6-8 km. The view I was rewarded with was spectacular. I think I could even see the Russell forest in the vast distance.

When I reached the morepork track I knew that I needed to be careful with my timing because it was private land with no camping. Once I entered the track I needed to finish. I pushed and pushed and even considered camping at a few flat spots that I saw, but I knew I could make it. The track was frustrating. Thick bush was hiding the tracks making it a challange to see where I was going. On top of that the thick overgrown bush was gors. I think that's how you spell it. A shard niddle-like plant that will cut through anything it touches. Forcing my way through this was not easy, and I found my tongue releasing a few words of frustration. I did see a little baby pig on the trail.

With only one hour of light left I found myself still battling through the rough over grown track. My gps said I was fairly close to the finish so I picked up my speed. The tracks climb gave me a hard battle, but I was determined. I followed the orange trackers until I finally finished the morepork track. I came down to a fence and the markers stopped. Confused, I checked my location and discovered I somehow took a different track that brought me to a farmers property. My gps said there was a road on the other side that would lead me to town so I continued forward. The sun had now set with only the faint shadows of light guiding my way. I pushed forward. My feet were in pain. At this point I had walked nearly 9 hours and I can't remember when I took my last break. With 3km left to Whananki holiday park a man pulled up next to me and asked if I wanted a ride. His name was Jack. He was a local maybe a few years older than me. The ride was short but well appreciated.

When I arrived at Whananki Holiday park Tracy was there to great me. She was so happy to hear I was a TA walker and put me up in there hiking lodge called the Naki'd in. She gave me fresh vegetables and fruit out of kindness and eggs for breakfast in the morning.

The Naki'd in was a little hut that fit 1 bunk bed and a little room to open the door. The walls were covered in writing from TA walkers from history and I got a chance to put my own little bit of inspiration. A favorite quote of mine from a favorite book.

"No man is brave that has never walked a hundred miles. If you want to know the truth of who you are, walk until not a person knows your name. Travel is the great leveler, the great teacher, bitter as medicine, crueler than mirror-glass. A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection."
Patrick Rothfuss - The Wise Man's Fear

Comments

Popular Posts