Day 2. Ninety Mile Beach

I awoke to some small rain, but it soon passed and I was treated with a beautiful cloudless day. I was pleased that there wasn't any rain since I was going to be freedom camping somewhere close to The Bluff on Ninety Mile Beach. Setting up the tent in the rain is not something I'm looking forward too after a long day of walking.
Ninety Mile Beach is...how can I put this, Strange, very strange, almost like a dream. There are too many washed up bottles without messages and it's endless waves become something close to a hallucination. After walking for some time I reached Te Paki stream and refilled my water knowing that it is the last water refill I'll have for awhile.
I spotted some motorbike tracks when I reached the beach and followed them for some distance. Sure enough to my surprise a man came driving past me, turned around and stopped beside me. "It's you who came walking to my gate" he accused. After not talking to anyone for a day and a half but myself I was a little put off from his way of saying hello. I told him I'm walking the Te Araroa track and was sorry if I trespassed by accident. I knew I hadn't trespassed but I apologized all the same. I continued on rethinking our conversation in confusion.
Soon later I spotted a singular seal pup bathing in the sun who bolted at the sight of me. Then I came across two other walkers. Ben and Ryel (I think that was his name) were walking the TA, but on a strange route. Hitchhiking to different sections walking them south to north or North to south. We talked and then said goodbye and I continued on.
As I continued to walk I was passed by several cars and even buses. Nobody stopped to talk, just a wave of the hand and they carried on. Ninety Mile Beach was slowly turning more and more strange as I continued on. Step. Step. Step.
Eventually I made it to The Bluff where I found a stream to camp by. I walked 30km today, and I'm feeling it. The entire day I managed to keep my boots and socks dry, but while looking for a campsite I stepped into a brown grassy swamp. I spent the rest of the evening cleaning my socks and boots and ended up making dinner in the dark. At least it wasn't raining.

Comments

Popular Posts