Day 15. Pahia

I had grown a small international family in Kerikeri that gave me a genuine fairwell when I left.

I was thinking about my foot a lot today. If it continues to get worse I may have no choice but to stop. The trail today was very limited. I spent most of my time walking on the back roads with 1 trail in between kerikeri and Pahia.

My first stop of the day was at the stone store in Kerikeri. A historical landmark that they've turned into a shop. As I continued down the road I was stopped by someone who looked similar to my age. He said "you're not walking the trail, are you?" (Same words as the Mangamuka lady). He asked me how much I saved up for it and I gave him a few tips. It was wake up to reality. This walk is not an obligation. This walk is a privilege.

As I continued down the road and it eventually turned off into a trail. I came across a nest of bees and a memorable plaque stating this track as the first official Te Araroa track.

The track led up to Mt Bledstoe where I had a nice view of Pahia and the bay of islands. I then followed the road for some time until I made it into town. At one point a car came drifting around a corner on the gravel, and came way too close for my comfort. I continued past a golf course and eventually into Pahai where I had a burger with fries and arranged a boat transfer for the next section of my track.
For the next 4 days I'm going to be in the Russell forest. There are a view ankle deep streams that I need to ford as well as a 5km track in a stream. The weather looks safe but I doubt I'll have reception for some time. Hopefully my foot will manage.

Comments

Popular Posts