Day 27 - Rest day - Hot Springs

A rest day, but a busy day none the less. After eating a big breakfast at mumbles with Wietse, Justin and Dylan I made my way over to the local 4 square and purchased 11 days of food. 8 for my next section, and 3 to ship ahead to Arthurs pass Village as the town is to small to resupply.

It was about noon by the time I finished organizing my meals, and there was still a few things I wanted to do before starting my hitch to Boyle Village. Justin, Wietse and myself went to the hot pools for a few hours, and these few hours were really the extent of my rest today. The hot pools in hamner are a must if you're hiking the TA. Natural sulfur pools and massage jets eased my tired muscles from all their recent hard work.

2 hours flew by at the spa, and it wasn't long before I was rushing to buy a few extra things before leaving Hanmer. I needed more memory for my camera as I've gone through close to 175gb already, and I also wanted to find a nice pair of merino boxers to add some comfort to my hike. By the time I had purchased all these things it was 3pm and I needed to make it to Boyle by 5, before they close. I walked a fair distance outside of town, found a spot with a decent pullout and began giving all the cars driving by a big thumbs up.

After an hour if waiting my arm began to get sore, and I figured I would walk further up the road and find a better spot. Eventually an older couple picked me up, but they could only take me to the end of the road where I continued my long wait. Two German travelers picked me up after another hour of waiting and I ended up making it to Boyle Village by 6pm instead of 5pm. Luckily the owner was still there and sorted me out with a room. I spent the rest of the night editing photos and updating my blog, and by the time I made it into bed I was more exhausted then a hard day on the trail. It was a 30km walk tomorrow if I wanted to make it to Hope Kiwi hut, and I hardly felt like I got a rest. Errands are exhausting, and so is hitching. Next time I have a day off the trail I'm going to make sure I actually rest.

Comments

Popular Posts