Day 50 - Freehold Creek Camp to Breast Hill track start Camp

Last night the temperature dropped to 1 degree Celsius, making my morning quite slow. While I was packing up my tent a few cyclist rode by me. I waved good morning to them and I heard one lady shout to her friend in front of her "Oh my god, he camped there last night!" referring to how cold it was. Last night was cold, but not as cold as most of my nights in the North Island.

I left camp by 10am, and made my climb into the mountains. There were many points throughout the day where I stopped to take In the beautiful light and scenery, but cursed in frustration as I was unable to capture it. I was especially frustrated as today was the first time I had to hike through heavy snow, and the mountains shone in such a way that being unable to use my camera made me very sad. What a pity, to be sad in such a beautiful place. But as the day went on I moved past my frustration. Only a fool worries over what he can't control. I couldn't capture my moments, so I decided to be in them as full and pure as they layed in front of me instead. I didn't listen to any music either. I just walked.

After the mountains I decended into the valley following the track until I reached a vast open area, surrounded by snow cloaked mountains. I continued walking until I reached the Ahuriri River, the most challenging river crossing I think on my entire journey. The river is a hazard zone, and I completely understand why. The current is strong and the water is deep. It's possible to hike 5km south, cross and bridge and then another 5km back up to meet the trail, but after studying the river I decided it was crossable. I knew I would be going in deep, so instead of soaking my pants - which in this weather would never dry - I decided to ford the river butt naked. There was no one around, but at this point in my journey I could honestly care less. Dry pants at night is a valuable thing. It took me a good long while to decide where was safest to cross. I knew this was a risky crossing so I unbuckled my waist strap, just in case If I fell I wouldn't be immobilized by the weight of my pack. The rocks were slimy and slippery and the force of the water made it impossible to perfectly place my steps. I walked slow and steady, making sure I had footing with each step, though the water was so cold I could hardly feel my feet plant. By the time I reached half way I was waist deep, and quite happy to have taken my pants off. As I got close to the opposite bank I felt my foot slip and start to slide. I quickly put out my trekking pole, and that too started to slide. I made a blind attempt at replacing my other foot and luckily it stuck. When I reached the other side I sat down and laughed at my luck. Or unluck. Not quite sure at this point, but I was happy to have made it safe. The Ahuriri River has been by far the most challenging crossing yet.

I hiked for another 5km before finding a nice piece of grass to camp on near a stream. I settled in for another cold night.

Comments

Popular Posts