Day 32 - Stuck at Locke Stream hut

I awoke to the sound of hard rain. I looked out the window and could see a heavy catchment of rainwater trickling off the roof of the hut. Everyone was a bit on edge about the river crossings, but I had a solution. I sent a text through my locator beacon to my angel of a fiance across the world and asked her for some advice. The hut full of people eagerly waited for the news. Brooke responded within minutes with a hourly forcast for today and tomorrow, and unfortunately it wasn't looking pretty. Consistent rain today, and heavy rain tomorrow. Everyone made there own decision in the end, but since I was warned about the river crossings in this section I pretty much accepted that I would most likely be waiting out in this hut for the next 2 days. It wasn't long before everyone accepted the fate of things, and we all hunkered down for a zero day. We played cards, drank tea, read books, and at night the entire hut gathered around a cellphone and watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople. It was probably the most relaxing day I've had since I landed in New Zealand.

Comments

Popular Posts