Day 31 - Haranui hut no. 3 to Locke Stream hut

My meals are pretty routine at this point. I start with a meal supplement shake, then I clean my water bottle - which at this point is just a 800ml plastic bottle from the store that I'm reusing - and make a banana latte. Banana yogurt powder with instant coffee mix. Then I filter 800ml of water and hit the trail eating a One Square meal bar. These three things together keep me satisfied until lunch, and if I do get hungry ill eat a snickers bar for a little bit of energy.

At lunch I pull out a new flavor of pre packaged - and lightweight - tuna or salmon and eat two wraps. My favorite so far have been the peri peri Tuna or the coconut tahitian tuna. By mid afternoon I'll eat a Bumper slice. These chocolate brownie squares of goodness are packed with calories and flavor. They tend to be a bit more expensive, but so worth it.

Before dinner, if I have some time to kill at the hut I'll eat some salasa doritoes, or maybe a few sour patch kids.

Dinner is my biggest meal of the day. And I've found a system that works very well for me. First I cook a continental noodle packet, either Alfredo, creamy Bacon, sour cream and chives etc etc... Combined with some cous cous as a buffer. Once those are cooked I add a spring vegetable cup of soup as well as a creamy chicken and vegetable cup of soup, and what I get Is a big mushy tasty mess. Finally I'll add a dash of chili pepper for a little bit of kick. This will fill my 1litre cooking pot to the brim and leave me feeling as full as ever by the time Im finished. Later in the evening I might snack on some more sour patch kids, but only if I have enough to spare. That's my meals. My dinners can vary slightly, as sometimes I eat backcountry pre packed dinners that serve 2 people as a easy dinner option if I've had a long day of walking, or if I feel I want to treat myself. And as I resupply on the trail I will change my lunch options to Salami and cheese and possibly my breakfast options, but so far this system is keeping my body happy and healthy.

Another day on the trail with Justin. We both left the hut as two and made our way towards Locke stream hut. There were two huts we would pass along the way, but it was only a 15km distance to our final destination, but that did include a climb over Harper's Pass. It rained all day today, heavier than a light rain but lighter than a heavy rain. Sometimes it would pick up and sometimes it would slow down. This didn't bother me though as being wet is a cheap price to pay for beauty. I've been admiring these forests since I started this section. Moss covers everything in a thick coat if life, and combined with the dark calm presence of a cloudy dramatic day makes each step feel like a dream. Almost as though time is non existent in these woods.

This was also the first day I got to truly experience mud like I had when I hiked the North Island in winter. Thick deep mud around every corner and every step.

By the time Justin and myself reached Harper's pass I kinda took off. I didn't feel like waiting around much and I kinda wanted some time to be. I think clearer and I'm more patient when I out here alone. I love spending time with people and hearing new stories, but this journey is very personal for me, and I always need some time in the day with just myself.

When I reached the hut Wietse was sitting on the front steps outside. There was a large NOLA group spending the night here and I also knew there were about 7 other people supposed to arrive tonight. I grabbed a top bunk and made sure I had a hook to hang my gear as Wietse told there are mice in this hut. Mice have been a real issue in the huts on this section. Almost every hut has them running around, getting into people's food and bitting holes in people's bags.

Unfortunately Dan didn't show up, as he must have taken a short day. Might not see him for a little while after all.

It's been raining throughout the night and tomorrow is a big river crossing day. The DOC office in Arthur's pass told me this is where I should be cautious and also prepared to wait out a day. Hopefully I can push forward, but only the morning will hold that answer. The plan is to camp somewhere between 20 - 30km from where I am now.

Comments

Popular Posts