Day 43 - two thumb track camp to Stonny hut

I was startled awake at around 2am to the sound of my tent thrashing around in the heavy wind. I turned on my light and began checking to make sure all my stakes were securely in the ground. As I curled back into my sleeping bag I froze and listened. The wind completely died down, leaving my tent as still as it would be on a calm night. But then I heard a loud scream from somewhere off in the distance. Something was moving my way. I stood still in the calmness, waiting for whatever I could hear to break, when in a quick moment a huge gust of wind hit my tent, sending my tent stake - that supported my tent the most - flying out of the ground, creating a whirlwind of chaos around me. My tent whipped around in all directions, making it even difficult to opening my door to leave. I fought with the wind until I eventually re-staked my tent, and also secured all my guidelines yet again. I spent the rest of the night in a restless sleep, unsure if my tent would hold the wind until morning.

I rose at 830am, quite late for most hikers, but what can I say, I needed a good rest. Wietse was also waking up at the same time, and although we never make a plan to leave together we always seem to be ready to go at the same time. So yet again I started my day hiking with Wietse, and yet again I started my day slipping into wet socks and wet boots. It didn't matter though as we had about 8 thigh high crossings to do before making two 300m climbs to reach our first hut. Crooked spur hut was the typical steel shack hut we've seen since we passed Hamilton Hut, and I've heard from North bounders that all the huts South of here are in this same style. Their not bad huts at all really, just old huts, and each one is filled with character in the inside. A German couple I met earlier on the trail - named Stef and Hiemer - were at the hut when we arrived, and told us that they were taking a short day today, since their last two days were big. It was only noon at this point and I was exhausted already. The climb this morning was hard, and combined with a poor sleep and 70km in two days had me considering if I should do the same. But after taking an extended lunch I slung my pack over me and continued on towards Stonny hut.

It was another 500m climb over a saddle to get to stonny hut, but less harsh then the ones I had to do earlier in the day. It was a blue sky day with not a cloud in sight, and by the time I reached the top of the saddle I was swimming in sweat. I would have drank my water by the litter if I could afford it, but I only had a litre on me and needed to ration it to the next stream.

I reached Stonny hut by 530pm, and was quite spent. I took the remainder of the evening to wash up at a nearby stream, hang gear to dry, cook dinner, and chat with Wietse. Dylan showed up later in the evening - as Dylan never leaves camp early - and the night was spent with two guys Ive gotten to know really well throughout my trail.

Comments

Popular Posts