Day 53 - Pukahit Hut to Wanaka

Everyone else in my hut slept in so I took the opportunity to wake up and start the day early. I was pre-warned of some heavy rain coming up so every part of me wanted to make it to Wanaka before it hit.
I sped down the 900m decent to Lake Hawea and made my way along on coastline track into the township. It was around noon by this point so I took a stop at the bar/restaurant in town and ordered a big burger and fries with a flat white and a pepsi. It was a refreshing break that also allowed me to recharge my cell phone and figure out what my plan was for the rest of the day. The weather confirmed early morning showers so I set my mind for Wanaka. It would be a 35km day, but It felt worth it.
After Hawea the track was flat and I made my way at a fast pace straight for Wanaka. I don't have any photos for today as my camera is still in poor health. When I reached the city I was overjoyed. Brooke and I spent a bit of time in Wanaka a few years ago, and I enjoyed the feeling of reaching a familiar place.
First thing I did when I reached my hostel for the evening was a load of laundry and then shower. Hopefully before anyone got a good sniff of me. It took me 6 days to get from Twizel to Wanaka and that's more than enough for me to turn quite ripe.
Once all the necessaries were complete I made my plan for the rest of the night. I needed dinner but something I was very much looking forward to was going out to a movie. I made it just in time for the 8:30pm showing of Death of Stalin, and was able to order a pizza and a beer to enjoy while I watched. The film was absolutely hilarious.
It wasn't a very eventful day to tell the truth, but I was most eager to get my camera back into a warm comfortable place so I could figure out what exactly is wrong with it. Tomorrow my mission is to sort out it's troubles. I have hope.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts