Day 30 - Hamarui hut to Hamarui hut no.3

Normally I leave the hut by myself, but today Wietse, Justin and myself all happened to be ready to leave at the same time, so we carried on as 3. There were plenty of huts ahead of us, and I wasn't too set on pushing for a long day to Lock Stream hut but instead two shorter days with a stop off at the hotpools.

It was a good hour of hiking before Wietse, Justin and myself made it to the pools. It was all pretty exciting, but a bit underwhelming when we arrived. The pool was much smaller than expected. It was already a humid day, and the sulfur steam coming off the pools didn't help to cool us off. We all went in for a dip, but I couldn't go in past my thighs. The water was far too hot, leaving my legs a burning bright red afterwards.

Wietse continued on the trail ahead, and Justin and I continued at a much slower pace towards Haranui hut no.3. I haven't been hiking every day with Justin but he's been with me every night all the way back to Captain Creek Hut. Somewhere around 20 days now. He's definitely added comedy to my thru hike, and also made for some very memorable moments. Justin started in the Queen Charlotte track and is planning to stop at Arthur's Pass, the end of this section. So a shorter day on the trail hiking with Justin is worth the fun, because after this section who knows where I'll find a good laugh.

By midday we made it to Haranui hut number 3. It was only 3pm so I took the time to seamseal my boots and patch any holes. I'm worried my shoes aren't going to make it to bluff. The last two sections through the Richmond ranges and the Wauiu pass were exceptionally hard on my boots. So many rocks. The goretex is hardly noticeable anymore as their are already some holes in the fabric near my toe box. These boots have been working great otherwise. My feet have never felt more comfortable in a pair of shoes.

Later in the evening Merry arrived. Merry and Harry are a couple I met on the Queen Charlotte track and also who I hiked on the same hut path with for many days through the Richmond Ranges. I passed them as they took an extra rest day during the Cyclone. Merry told us that Dan - who I got stuck in Rocks Hut with when the Richmond Range flooded - was behind and may even be showing up tonight. This gave me lots of excitement as Dan's been someone I've been hoping to see again for some time.

Unfortunately Dan didn't show up, but it was good to know he was in the area. You can always read the hut books and figure out how many days people you know are ahead of you, but you never know whos behind you on the trail.

I'm looking forward to a good sleep tonight. Not many people, a large bunk, and no rush in morning. Fantastic.

Comments

Popular Posts