74 - Martin's Hut to Colac Bay

I awoke today with the mindset that this would be my last walk in a forest on Te Araroa, and I planned to enjoy it as much as I possibly could. I took in all that could, but when the track turned to mud, and became slow going, I soon started to curse this final forest and its wicked ways. I tripped, slipped, and splashed my way through thick mud and jumped over fallen trees. The poor maintenance of this final forest was frustrating, and when I realized that after hours of hiking I was only half way through this mess I soon became weary and tired. The Longwood forest is, in fact, long and full of woods. It felt sort of neverending and impossible to finish at times, but if there is anything I've learned in Te Araroa is that it is never easy. Why did I expect this final stretch to be any different?

The track followed an old gold mining route and the remnants of ruined machines could be found off track in the woods. I hiked alone today, but I was never too far behind or top far ahead of any of the normal members of my group.

After 20km or so I reached the end if the longwoods and followed a farm track to ward road. I had to pass a large herd of cows on my way through which added a bit of unexpected excitement to my day.

I reached colac Bay and went straight to the tavern where they nit only sold beer and juicy burgers, but also cabins at a discounted price for Te Araroa walkers. I showed, and washed my clothes, which had mud caked on up to my knees. By the time this was all finished I enjoyed an evening with Stef and Heiner, Anna and Rafael, and Geome.

Reaching the coast isn't the end of the journey, but in many ways I feel it is. It's a huge relief to reach this southern coast. Three mire days of walking to reach bluff, but in many ways I feel like my journey is already at its end.

Comments

  1. This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks!
    lawn on discount

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts