Day 59 - Macetown to Arrowtown

It was a cold night, and when I awoke I was not surprised to see that frost had settled on the ground. The trees I parked under provided protection from the frost, and also left me with a dry tent. Wietse did not have the same sort of morning. Since he set up in the open without the protection of the trees his tent was practically frozen solid. Wietse didn't dry his boots out over the fire last night either which left them even more frozen then his tent. Lucky for him he had an extra pair of boots that he was able to hike in to start the day.

We left Arrowtown and made our way up yet another saddle. This will be my fifth saddle in three days of hiking, and I'm ready for a day without one. When we reached the top of Big Hill saddle we were happy to see Arrowtown far below.

I have spent some time in Arrowtown a few years back and I was glad to lead Wietse a favorite spot of mine to eat when we reached town. The Chop Shop.

After lunch we made our way to the holiday park and claimed a spot for our tents. It was Easter Sunday, and because of it their were lots of people here. I was in the mood to go see a movie, but Wietse was in the mood for a drink, so I let the movie go and we made our way to The Tap for dinner. To Wietse's horror they only sold one drink per meal, and otherwise it was Impossible to find booze on Easter Sunday here in Arrowtown. We ordered a bottle of wine as our single drink but I could tell Wietse was sad we didn't order two by the time we finished it.

Later that evening we ran into Dylan at the holiday park, and got to catch up on what his trail has been like since we last him in Tekapo.

I decided to take an extra rest day here tomorrow so I reached out to my friend Hannah who I worked with on Pete's Dragon and she kindly offered me a place to sleep for the night. We made a plan to meet up in the morning. I'm looking forward to catching up!

Comments

Popular Posts