Day 71 - Telford Campsite to Birchwood Station

I was the first person out of my tent on this freezing cold morning. Ive learned over my many days waking up in the freezing temps on the North Island that it's going to be cold regardless when I wake up and I won't be warm until I'm hiking.

I left camp with Stef and Heiner again and we made our way through Mt Linton station towards Birchwood. It was a 30km hike today and not a pleasant one. Mt Linton is said to be the biggest farm in New Zealand, so today's challenge was simply getting to the other side of it. The fine smells of fresh animal shit lingered underfoot with every step. We climbed over hills and around them, sometimes along the fence. Sometimes through fields of cows and sheep. Even a few horses. It was a long day, but the sun was shinning for the first time in a long time, and that alone was something to be grateful for.

When we reached Birchwood Heiner found an accommodation option in the trail notes, and after talking with the owner on the phone we were given directions to a hut on a farm that we could stay in for the night.

When we arrived at the hut we were all pleasantly surprised to find a fireplace, with unlimited wood. A hot shower, electricity, and even a washing machine. Best part was they sold beer. It was a very relaxing, warm night after spending so many nights in the cold.

Comments

Popular Posts